One's personality is both a composition and reflection, but if I have to choose one of them, I will choose reflection as the "self" is more important to me than "me". One's composition may change, walking across the cultural landscapes and climbing the social ladder but one's self is tied to one's reflections. The fun part is that reflections are not bound to "Time-Space" barriers ( it is not time-space) and respective mental constructs, which have grown so thick over ages, that they had reduced the image of humans to Sisyphus, rolling different sizes of boulders on hills of different heights.… As the name of this Blog indicates, knols are my perspectives on topics of interests, sweet/bitter experiences or just doodling :)

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Appearance

I don't like to stare at people. It's rude. Yet, I kept watching this guy who had obvious similarities with the Edmund Kemper, a character from the Netflix-TV-series, "Mindhunter". I took interest in the series, as the show was like "thought-experiments". I wanted to know that when one pre-defines things and goes to the field with a subjective-perspective, how things appear to him? In the show, the agent, Holden Ford had a subjective-approach and the psychology professor, Wendy Carr had an objective-perspective. But during the show, it appeared to me that the calm, curious and intelligent perspectives of the subject (serial-killer) Edmund Kemper were more forceful than the methodological-perspectives of the agent and the professor that studied him. 

Anyway, my purpose is not to review the TV show here, but to provide the background for the conversation that I had with Ustad after I discussed the related issues with him;

I told Ustad about my experience and the thoughts around it. Based on physical similarities of a character, I looked at the guy with a subjective-perspective.

"That's a common-place experience!" was the reply of Ustad. "You don't even need to have basic literacy to understand the pictorial and visual expressions. It's an innate ability to connect the visual expressions with the familiar environment..."
"So, you think that my brain had borrowed the character of Kemper from the show as a visual representation of the term, "serial killer"?" I interrupted Ustad.
"That's my best guess!" he answered. "Look! it's a common phenomenon if you pay attention. For example, the combination of beard, Afghani dress, and turban have become a visual representation of terror and the combination of clean-shaved face and western dress have become the expression of liberalism?"
"I kind of agree!"
"What I have been interested are the ways most of the people use these symbolic representations!" Ustad continued.
"I didn't get you!"
"Appearances are multilayered. It's genetic. It's cultural. It's economical and it's political and yet, people tend to politicize appearances. Don't get me wrong. It's not just the negative-tagging of the appearances but also the positive-good-doers also promote using appearances as advertisements of their work...."
"What do you suggest?"
"I guess, there is no quick solution for it. We are evolved to make quick decisions based on the appearances for our safety. I hope that artificial intelligence could help us to overcome this problem.  When all people are connected and a large amount of data about them become easily accessible,  then, AI could help us to see beyond appearances and that's are individual's personalities. Artificial intelligence, unlike humans, does not have long biological evolutionary history and could access to public data and swiftly search for large amounts of data and make better decisions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment